By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the properties of construction materials.
- Evaluate the properties and uses of construction materials.
- Justify the specification of construction materials regarding their performance in use.
- Discuss the effects of loading on structural materials.
- Compare the behaviour of timber, steel and reinforced concrete structural members under load.
- Relate scientific principles to human comfort levels.
- Discuss the methods used to integrate building services into the overall building design.
- Determine the thermal performance of buildings regarding heat gains and heat losses.
- Perform scientific experiments associated with construction science and materials.
- Derive conclusions from the results of the scientific experiments.
Classroom based activity using PowerPoint, group activities and discussion. End of unit assessment in the form of an exam and written assignment
Pre Course Requirements