By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe methods used to investigate the biology and biochemistry of activated sludge.
- Describe the chemistry of activated sludge.
- Describe the conditions required for nitrification and denitrification.
- Explain key health and safety hazards and relevant safe practice in the operation of activated sludge plants.
- Describe the function of common components of an activated sludge plant.
- Describe the maintenance of plant and equipment used in activated sludge treatment.
- Describe the waste water industry design criteria applied to activated sludge treatment.
- Explain the principles of operation of the activated sludge treatment process.
- Describe the process control systems.
- Identify causes of bulking and the associated groups of organisms.
- Conduct process control calculations to design an activated sludge plant.
- Describe failure modes and common faults with activated sludge plants and other advanced waste water treatment processes.
- Evaluate process solutions to achieve compliance.
Classroom based activity using PowerPoint, group activities and discussion. End of unit assessment in the form of an exam and written assignment
Pre Course Requirements
Who Should Attend?